Welcome to Class 3/4 C – Mrs Cox
Welcome to the 3/4C Class page.
Here you will find important information about our routines, curriculum and general information. We will also keep you updated about the amazing activities we have been getting up to at school in our class blog which is at the bottom of this page – please scroll down to find out more.
- Reading continues to be at the heart of a child’s learning and at Ox Close we ensure that the children take part in a range of different reading activities.
- Children in KS2 access our Accelerated Reader programme. Children regularly borrow books from the library, take quizzes on them and progress through the reading scheme.
- The children all take a reading test to determine their reading ability at the beginning of each year. They are then given a ‘reading range’ and this tells them the area of the library that they can borrow books from. The range given is matched to their reading ability so that they choose books that they can read comfortably or provide more of a challenge.
- Once they have finished the book, the children take an online quiz. The scores children receive from the quizzes are monitored by class teachers. When they are regularly passing quizzes for the level they are on, the teacher gives them permission to move up a level.
- Lost books will incur a charge of £5.00.
- Your child will soon be bringing home a ‘Pick and Mix’ homework grid. The tasks are all linked to the theme of learning that your child is currently studying in school.
- The idea is that you do not need to complete homework every weekend – if you are busy one weekend then you could miss out that weekend and complete a task the weekend after – as long as they have the right number of points by the time stated on the grid
- Children will continue to receive a reading book – we ask that the children read a few pages every night wherever possible.
- Each week, the children will also have a spelling rule to learn. Rather than the old way of learning spellings for a test, we are going to send home a rule activity for them to complete and return. We are hoping this new way of learning spellings will help with retaining the rule.
Times Table Rockstars
Times Tables knowledge is a huge part of the curriculum and instant recall of times tables is essential.
In school, we have invested in an online programme that can be used both at home and at school, to support the children in learning their tables.
Times tables are set by the class teacher and we hope that every child will benefit from the programme by logging on both at home and at school.
We will fit in PE lessons throughout the week (weather permitting). This may not necessarily be on the same day each week. Children should bring their full PE kit every Monday and leave it in school throughout the week in case of any extra PE activities. Earrings and watches should be removed before the lesson. After the initial 6 week period, all earrings must be removed and not covered with plasters. If children cannot remove their own earrings, please remove them before they come to school. Please make sure that your child has the correct PE Kit:
- Black shorts, white t-shirt and trainers
- No football or sports tops please!
- Tracksuit bottoms for outdoor lessons.
Swimming lessons – Tuesday afternoon. Children must remember their swimming kit every Tuesday. Swimming caps must also be worn to partake in lessons.
2019 – 2020
Class 3/4C Activities