Welcome to Class 3/4 W – Mrs Woods
Welcome to the 3/4W Class page.
Here you will find important information about our routines, curriculum and general information. We will also keep you updated about the amazing activities we have been getting up to at school in our class blog which is at the bottom of this page – please scroll down to find out more.
- Reading continues to be at the heart of a child’s learning and at Ox Close we ensure that the children take part in a range of different reading activities.
- Children in KS2 access our Accelerated Reader programme. Children regularly borrow books from the library, take quizzes on them and progress through the reading scheme. These books will be kept in school for the Autumn term.
- They will need to have a short period of isolation before being returned to the shelf.
- The children all take a reading test to determine their reading ability at the beginning of each year. They are then given a ‘reading range’ and this tells them the area of the library that they can borrow books from. The range given is matched to their reading ability so that they choose books that they can read comfortably or provide more of a challenge.
- Once they have finished the book, the children take an online quiz. The scores children receive from the quizzes are monitored by class teachers. When they are regularly passing quizzes for the level they are on, the teacher gives them permission to move up a level.
- Please return any outstanding books you may have.
- Lost books will incur a charge of £5.00.
- We are currently focusing on ensuring the children are settled into the new school routine. Once this is established, we will be introducing a method of sending homework via the internet.
- Each week, the children will also have a spelling rule to learn in class. They will complete activities as part of their continuous provision.
- Children will be given activities they can complete via Spelling Shed.
- There will be no test however the children will be expected to use the rule within their writing.
Times Table Rockstars
Times Tables knowledge is a huge part of the curriculum and instant recall of times tables is essential.
In school, we have invested in an online programme that can be used both at home and at school, to support the children in learning their tables.
Times tables are set by the class teacher and we hope that every child will benefit from the programme by logging on both at home and at school.
- 3/4W will be taking part in PE lessons each Thursday and so must come to school wearing outdoor PE kit as most lessons will be outdoor.
- Earrings and watches should be removed before the children come to school.
- After the initial 6 week period, all earrings must be removed and not covered with plasters.
- Please make sure that your child wears the correct PE Kit:
- Black shorts, white t-shirt and trainers
- No football or sports tops please!
- Tracksuit bottoms and top for outdoor lessons.
Swimming lessons – Due to the current circumstances, swimming lessons will not be taking place for the foreseeable future.