Welcome to Class 5/6 T – Miss Todd
Welcome to the 5/6T Class page.
Here you will find important information about our routines, curriculum and general information. We will also keep you updated about the amazing activities we have been getting up to at school in our class blog which is at the bottom of this page – please scroll down to find out more.
- Reading continues to be at the heart of a child’s learning and at Ox Close we ensure that the children take part in a range of different reading activities.
- Children in KS2 access our Accelerated Reader programme. Children regularly borrow books from the library, take quizzes on them and progress through the reading scheme.
- The children all take a reading test to determine their reading ability at the beginning of each year. They are then given a ‘reading range’ and this tells them the area of the library that they can borrow books from. The range given is matched to their reading ability so that they choose books that they can read comfortably or provide more of a challenge.
- Once they have finished the book, the children take an online quiz. The scores children receive from the quizzes are monitored by class teachers. When they are regularly passing quizzes for the level they are on, the teacher gives them permission to move up a level.
- Lost books will incur a charge of £5.00.
- Children will continue to receive a reading book – we ask that the children read a few pages every night wherever possible.
- Each week, the children will also have a spelling rule to learn. Rather than the old way of learning spellings for a test, we are going to send home a rule activity for them to complete and return. We are hoping this new way of learning spellings will help with retaining the rule.
Times Table Rockstars
Times Tables knowledge is a huge part of the curriculum and instant recall of times tables is essential.
In school, we have invested in an online programme that can be used both at home and at school, to support the children in learning their tables.
Times tables are set by the class teacher and we hope that every child will benefit from the programme by logging on both at home and at school.
Our PE day is a Thursday every week. We ask that children come into school in suitable PE kit on this day. Earrings and watches should be removed before the lesson. After the initial 6 week period, all earrings must be removed and not covered with plasters. If children cannot remove their own earrings, please remove them before they come to school.
2020 – 2021
Class 5/6 T Activities
December 2020 – Class Birthday Party!
On Tuesday, 5/6T celebrated the birthdays of anyone who had a birthday between September and December. We really enjoyed our party and were really thankful for the presents and cupcakes. We did lots of fun dancing, games and we even had a dance battle! Take a look at some of our pictures below.
Today, 5/6T participated in a team building activity in PE. We pretended that the floor was lava and we had to work together to make our way across the yard using the equipment. We had lots of fun and Miss Todd noticed how excellent our teamwork skills were. Here are some pictures of our lesson.
November 2020 – M and M Productions
Despite the difficulties this year, the children in Years 5 and 6 were delighted to welcome back M and M Productions this year with their virtual performance of The Wizard of Oz. The new format was a great hit with everyone and we had a splendid afternoon!
Tell Me Tree – October 2020
Based on the book ‘The Tell Me Tree’, we created our own class ‘Tell Me Tree’. On each leaf, we wrote inspirational quotes and things that we were good at. When we are feeling worried or not confident, we can look at this tree! Here are some pictures of our fantastic leaves.
Non Chronological Reports – October 2020
Read our non chronological reports and learn all about orangutans! We have worked hard on these with Miss Hunter.
Self Portraits – October 2020
This half-term in Art, we have been looking creating self-portraits. We have practised drawing and sketching facial features. Here are some pictures of our finished work.