Welcome to Class 5/6 T – Miss Todd
Welcome to the 5/6T Class page.
Here you will find important information about our routines, curriculum and general information. We will also keep you updated about the amazing activities we have been getting up to at school in our class blog which is at the bottom of this page – please scroll down to find out more.
- Reading continues to be at the heart of a child’s learning and at Ox Close we ensure that the children take part in a range of different reading activities.
- Children in KS2 access our Accelerated Reader programme. Children regularly borrow books from the library, take quizzes on them and progress through the reading scheme.
- The children all take a reading test to determine their reading ability at the beginning of each year. They are then given a ‘reading range’ and this tells them the area of the library that they can borrow books from. The range given is matched to their reading ability so that they choose books that they can read comfortably or provide more of a challenge.
- Once they have finished the book, the children take an online quiz. The scores children receive from the quizzes are monitored by class teachers. When they are regularly passing quizzes for the level they are on, the teacher gives them permission to move up a level.
- Lost books will incur a charge of £5.00.
- Children will continue to receive a reading book – we ask that the children read a few pages every night wherever possible.
- Each week, the children will also have a spelling rule to learn. Rather than the old way of learning spellings for a test, we are going to send home a rule activity for them to complete and return. We are hoping this new way of learning spellings will help with retaining the rule.
Times Table Rockstars
Times Tables knowledge is a huge part of the curriculum and instant recall of times tables is essential.
In school, we have invested in an online programme that can be used both at home and at school, to support the children in learning their tables.
Times tables are set by the class teacher and we hope that every child will benefit from the programme by logging on both at home and at school.
Our PE day is a Thursday every week. We ask that children come into school in suitable PE kit on this day. Earrings and watches should be removed before the lesson. After the initial 6 week period, all earrings must be removed and not covered with plasters. If children cannot remove their own earrings, please remove them before they come to school.
2020 – 2021
Class 5/6 T Activities