Curriculum Statement of Intent
At Ox Close Primary School, we want our children to aspire to follow the school’s mantra of “Be The Best You Can Be” in all aspects of life.
We aim to develop children who are skilled readers, writers and mathematicians as well as fostering a broad skill set across all areas of the wider curriculum and world. We have developed our key intentions and have used these to design and develop an ambitious Ox Close Curriculum for our children considering their interests, locality, strengths and areas to develop.
The curriculum is a working document containing carefully planned sequences of learning which is constantly being reviewed and evaluated to ensure it enriches and inspires all of our children and equips them for life in secondary school and beyond.
The Ox Close Key Intentions:
- To develop children that are articulate, thoughtful and respectful who become well-rounded global citizens.
- To develop a growth mindset, become ever more resilient, take risks and be prepared to learn from mistakes in line with the school’s mantra of “Be The Best You Can Be”.
- To develop and enhance children’s vocabulary in order to be able to access a broad range of experiences and curriculum opportunities.
- To provide the children with real life experiences that enables them to access a rich cultural capital irrespective of their starting point.
- To ensure that staff are equal learners and provide them with continuous and dynamic professional development which reflects the evolving curriculum.
- To inspire a love of reading across the curriculum which extends beyond the classroom.
- To promote the Modern British Values of democracy, rule of law, individual liberty and mutual respect and tolerance of those with different faiths and beliefs.
- To celebrate individuality, be fully inclusive and develop children who are accepting of others regardless of differences.
- To develop children’s confidence and self-esteem so that they can express their true feelings, informed opinions and views of the world in a respectful manner and be curious about the world in which they live.
- To support the emotional well being of children and staff.
There is further information about how we plan and assess our Curriculum in the policy below:
If you have any questions about our curriculum or the work we do in school, please speak to your child’s class teacher or alternatively, please contact the school and speak to our Head Teacher, Mr Harrison, who will be happy to help.
Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND)
All pupils follow the National Curriculum at a level and a pace that is appropriate to their abilities. Our SEND philosophy places SEND children at the heart of personalised learning and our curriculum is tailored to meet individual pupils needs. At times and when it is felt appropriate, modifications to the curriculum may be implemented. To successfully match pupil ability to the curriculum Ox Close Primary School remains committed to:
- A range of teaching and learning styles
- Differentiated learning materials
- Access to ICT and technology
- Additional in class support
- Additional out of class support
- Targeted interventions
- Flexible groupings – including small group support work
- Innovative and supportive curriculum
- The appropriate use of rewards and sanctions
- A broad range of extra-curriculuar activities, including booster sessions, homework club and fundamental movement skills
- Assessment procedures that emphasise pupils’ strengths and achievements
- Applications during national testing at Key Stage 2 to obtain access arrangements as appropriate
If you would like to discuss your SEND requirements in detail please contact the school to arrange an appointment.
You may need a product like Adobe Reader (free download) to view our PDF documents on our website.